I am sure we are all delighted to see Professional Rugby starting the process of getting back to the “new normal”. All players and supporters of the Mighty Gate can be assured that both the club and junior committee’s together with our partners UCC are also planning our return to rugby, using the current assumption that the season will start for us in September. Clearly this is subject to weekly reviews, but we want to be prepared and we echo the same sentiments as the RFU:
The welfare of the players, supporters and coaches is our only priority, and we look forward to starting training only when it is safe to do so.
RFU Updates are available here :
The Professional Game Board which incorporates representatives of the Rugby Football Union (RFU), Premiership Rugby, Rugby Players Association (RPA) and Greene King IPA Championship clubs has given provisional authorisation for Premiership and Championship Rugby clubs to move to Stage 1: Elite Sport Return to Training Guidance.
Before starting Stage 1, which always allows for individual conditioning (or groups of individuals conditioning) in a performance environment with strict social distancing maintained, clubs will need to provide a written declaration to Premiership Rugby and the RFU that they have met several key criteria.
- All players and support staff must undertake an Education Module which will inform a formal “opt in” process for return to training.
- Confirmation of the appointment of both a Covid-19 Manager and Covid-19 Medical Lead.
- Clear guidance regarding cleaning and hygiene standards for training facilities.
- The provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate for the setting.
- Confirmation of a daily medical screening for players and support staff, which involves the completion of a symptom checklist and temperature check before entering the training facility.
- No timescale has been set for clubs to move to Stage 2 or Stage 3 which involves the safe return of Gallagher Premiership Rugby.
“The clubs will need to satisfy a number of requirements to start Stage 1 as we continue the huge amount of work being undertaken to enable a safe return to training” said Chris Booy, Professional Game Board Chair.
James Walker – Stoneygate FC – President